Sunday 24 January 2010

In The Navy

Another card today for 3 challenges this time and this one is for the men. As it has a nautical theme, I couldn't resist the In the Navy title, the only trouble being what springs immediately to mind is the rather camp Village People song (are you all singing now lol).
The first challenge is the ABC Challenge with a theme this week of M is for Masking and I've used Tim Holtz's Compass Mini Mask to make the background paper.
The second is Fab 'n' Funky Challenges with a colour theme of Blue, Green and White.
The third is Quixotic Challenges with a theme this week of Ink Up An Old Stamp which is my Hampton Art Nautical collage which hasn't been out of the box for a couple of years.

To make the background I sponged acrylic paint in shades of blue and green on pale blue card using the Tim Holtz mask to make the compass pattern.
I stamped the Hampton Art Sail 4528 image in VersaFine Deep Lagoon ink on pale blue card.  I trimmed the edges and matted it on green card.
I photocopied an old naval recruitment poster from one of my hubby's many nautical books and tore the edges. The sentiment is computer generated and I added 2 sea themed charms to finish.

12 comments:

Liz said...

Stunning Fliss so clever

Liz xx

andrea said...

fantastic card,thankyou for joining us at fab'n'funky this week
andrea

Sally H said...

That background is fab! I must try that technique. I bought some Tim Holtz masks at Harrogate and haven't used them yet. Lovely card, Fliss!

cheryl said...

oh love this hun that background is brilliant,such a wonderful design hugs cheryl xxxxx

Tinkertaylor said...

fab card and yes I'm singing along....in the navy!

brenda said...

Wonderful background you have created here Fliss and the tunes running through my head.

B x

Fiona said...

I started singing it as soon as I'd read the words! Great background and composition. Love the nautical stamp.
Fiona x

Helen said...

Gorgeous - love the masked background!
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Challenge!
Helen x

Ginny said...

wonderful card, thanks for joining this weeks challenge :)

Deborah said...

Wonderful card, Fliss. Makes me think of my dad who loved his time in the navy (in a slightly more modern ship LOL).

MarkerGeek said...

Oh, love this!

Thanks for joining in with us at Quixotic Challenges!

Christine (All She Crafts) said...

Wow! Fliss, I LOVE this! Love all things nautical, but this is outstanding. And - yes - I am now singing! lol...

".. you can sail the seven seas.." tra-la..

Hugs,
Chris xx