Saturday 24 April 2010

Mermaid Mixed Media Art

We've had a lovely sunny day down here in the South so I hope you've all had one too and are having a lovely weekend.
I have a piece of artwork to share that came about by one of my frequent serendipity moments. The piece has been made with the lovely mermaid digital image from Dezinaworld's weekly challenge run by the lovely June.
I'd been thinking about a suitable background for the mermaid for several days and yesterday managed to find a little spare time to experiment with some acrylic inks. I dripped the inks on to wet watercolour paper and then sprayed with some more water to make the colours move more. I put too much water on one piece and dropped on a paper towel to absorb the excess but when I pulled it off I found serendipity had struck as the paper towel looked lovely, the colour really brought out the texture. I sprayed it with Cosmic Shimmer colours of Ancient Copper and Golden Mint with a touch of Twilight Glimmer Mist.
I attached the paper towel to a piece of mount board with glue and tore off the excess round the edges. Using Diamond Glaze, I glued on some Mica Gold Flakes, Antique Bronze chips and an assortment of flower shaped sequins and some seed beads.
I printed out the mermaid and coloured her in part with Promarkers. I then painted her tail and hair with Twinkling H20 paints, just dotting the paint on her tail to get a scaly effect. I cut her out and ran the edge of a grey marker all around to make the image stand out. I glued her to the panel with foam tape and glue as I find this makes sure that anything attached stays put!
Finally, I had some really good news this week as I found out that the card I entered in Gingersnap Creations Copper, Ginger or Rust challenge has been picked as one of the Ginger Gems.  If you'd like to see the card, click here.

6 comments:

cheryl said...

oh hun your creations are always so full of life with some great textures,and images too this is briliant hugs cheryl xxx

Sally H said...

Fabulous! Love that background. You could enter this into Sir Stampalot as well, as we accept 2nd entries

Lynn Stevens said...

A paper towel? Wow what a happy accident. It looks like it had been covered in micro beads. Congrats on being a Gingergem too. This must be your week!
Lynn

brenda said...

Hi Fliss

So how long did this one take ? It's just stunning, I love all the interesting textures adn colour.

This would fit our Stampalot challenge brilliantly and there are still a couple of days left to enter (aols if you already have, I's finding a month is a long time and I sort of lose count what I've seen).

B x

Claire Phillips said...

Wonderful backgroud Fliss - another fabulous project - so creative!Cheers Claire x

Spyder said...

Wonderful project, fab colours for your mermaids background!
(lyn)