Tuesday 24 May 2011

A Home On The Range

Good afternoon everyone, hope you're coping OK with the current rather windy weather. We've actually had sunshine most of the day so it has at least been a little warmer.
I have a piece of artwork to show you made for Gingersnap Creations GC101 Chestnut Theme of Cowboys and Cowgirls. Not something we have here in the UK so I wasn't sure about it but decided to challenge myself anyway.
Here's the result:



I managed to find some really lovely images on Art-e-zine's vintage resources site where there are some fabulous vintage images and ephemera very kindly shared by a number of people.  The site is well worth a look if you're after a particular thing as there's a wide variety on there.
I decided that these 3 ladies look as if they belong on a ranch which was what in turn inspired the background. I was aiming for a log cabin quilt effect and thought these lovely K & Co papers fit the bill very well.
I then added a leather effect panel which was made by simply sponging Vintage Photo and Wild Honey Distress inks on leather texture card.
I set the vintage photo on a mat of the K & Co paper inked round the edges, then a torn corrugated panel rubbed with red metallic rub on.
I cut out a picket fence from corrugated card with the Tim Holtz fence die and added some pressed flowers.
I finished off with a butterfly and some text created with my Dymo machine.

Thanks for looking,
Fliss xx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great card! Here in Europe we are really a long way from cowboys etc! Blogger is still playing up! Valerie

Cazro said...

Wow! Terrific find with your photo and I love how you have completed your card. A little beauty. the sun is shining here too but it is cold and still windy. Hugs Caz

Suze Bain said...

Well you wouldn't mess with those three ladies, would you! Love how you've softened their image with the picket fence and flowers. xx

Zue said...

It is fantastic! You have used so many clever and different elements and the pressed flowers are lovely. Are they from your garden? The quilt effect is brilliant with those papers. Some are quite old, aren't they? I have the one with the tulips; had it ages, still love it though! Will be sad when it's gone!
Best wishes
Sue xxx

Gerri Herbst said...

Wonderful card, love that vintage image and yr darling flowers. Thanks for playing with us at Gingersnap creations

cheryl said...

oh fliss hun this is brilliant love all the different layers,and elements you have used,to make one,brilliant card hugs cheryl xxxx

Brenda Brown said...

I am back and hope my comment stays with you this time Fliss. I love the colours and layout of this card and the fence with the image really gives it the cowboy feel. Great job.
Sorry I haven't been around commenting for a while but I have been one of those affected by the current Blogger problems. I have moved from IE to Firefox which seems to have cured the problem for now.
Hope you have a good week.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Esther said...

Hi Fliss - don't think i'd mess with those girls!! I've been stumped by this theme too but you've got it just right I think, great quilt effect and love the bright orange flowers...Esther xx