Friday 1 September 2017

Rustica Challenge at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog

Hello everyone and welcome to my inspiration for our new challenge today over at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog and the theme for the next fortnight is Rustica, meaning we want to see rust effects on your creations and I sure did love this challenge.
My creation is a mixed media art panel inspired by a rusty factory building we saw on the side of one of the lochs we visited on our holiday in Scotland. We climbed through a broken panel to get to the area which was very sad to see but there were lots of amazing textures to take photos of. Nature had started to take the land back too and flowers and greenery peeked out between broken bricks.


I covered the MDF art panel with texture paste and then chose one of the Bits and Pieces greyboard cogs and pressed it into the paste randomly to add texture. Can you see the outlines on the background?
I then brushed a mix of Charcoal Shimmer paint and Antique Silver Metallic paint over the textured background. When the paint was fully dry, I used the Plaid Folk Art Painted Finishes Rust Kit which contains a light and dark rust paint to add rusty drips and patches over the top. Once this had dried off, I used the Ranger Embossing Dabber to add patches of ink and heat embossed the areas with Ranger Antiquities Rust embossing powder.
I coloured a number of the greyboard cogs with That's Crafty! paints (Antique Gold and Silver Metallic, Charcoal Shimmer and Multi Surface Black). I glued these on with silicone glue and finished off with a Tim Holtz word chip which I distressed by rubbing with charcoal and silver. My hubby says it looks like distressed metal which you can't really see in the pic.

I'll be round to visit as soon as I can and hope to share some holiday pics too.
Fliss xx

9 comments:

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Fantastic effects Fliss, I can almost feel the rust and decay from here ;)
Hugs
Donna xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a fabulous story of what inspired you to create your piece Fliss. You have now immortalised it forever. Some of our best pieces are inspired by nature and you have now brought this one back to life.
Hugs Tracey xx

My creative journey through..... said...

It's lovely 😊

Dorthe said...

It is gorgeous, Fliss, and yes, I see, and love the effects from pressing greyboard cogs into the paste, it looks fantastic and a great word you used. I also had difficulty in making the silver and glitter look real in the photos ...
It must have b een a special place , where you was inspired to this wonderful piece. :-) xx

craftytrog said...

Wonderful rusty art Fliss!
Hope you have a lovely weekend,
Alison xx

Bev Hilton said...

Fabulous creation Fliss. Loving that blue with the ruse.
Bev. xxx

Amanda said...

Great industrial tag and the word just makes it
Live
Amanda x

Nikki Acton said...

Fabulous Fliss - love your industrial, rusty panel! Everyone is using different materials to acheive the rust which I love! xx

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic rusty grunge look, Fliss - this is so cool!
Alison x