Wednesday 29 May 2013

Charming

Good morning everyone and a special welcome to my new followers, so lovely that you've chosen to follow my art journey and hoping that you like what I have for you today which is my Midweek Motivation for the Make My Monday challenge. The theme this week is my choice of Handmade Embellishments.
Most of my creations tend to be DIY out of choice, largely because when I began stamping in the mid 90s (yes, it really is that long!) you simply couldn't get all the beautiful papers now available and having got into the habit of making my own, it stuck!
Below you'll find a photo of the things you need to make a lovely faux metal charm which is really easy to do.


You'll notice that I've used an embossing ink dabber which is because the die cut heart shape (Marianne Design) is quite an intricate lacy style and although you can use an ink pad, I find it much easier to take the cap off the dabber and paint the ink on with a brush before coating with embossing powder.
I also used detail embossing powder as it's much finer and gives better coverage. You don't need the paper piercer unless you want to make a charm which was my original intention but it didn't quite fit in with the card design like that.
Here's the finished card and please do let me know what you think.


As you'll see, I made everything here. The paler paper is a B Line Designs stamp (Ribbons and Flowers Background available from That's Crafty) embossed with puff white and inked with Antique Linen Distress ink.
The red paper was a piece from my bits box made ages ago with red chalk ink and a brayer. I swiped on some Galaxy Gold Brilliance ink and dry embossed a strip with the Cuttlebug textile folder. I die cut a doily (Marianne Design) from some more.
The gold lace is a B Line Designs stamp embossed with detail gold powder and cut out.
The image panel is by Crafty Individuals and was stamped with Archival Coffee ink and coloured with Copic markers. I added a stamped and coloured flower and butterfly as further embellishments.

Some fabulous entries so far and I'm hoping for lots more!
Thanks for looking.
Also before I go, apologies for not having been round to see you all lately, things have been rather hectic and my feet have hardly touched the ground!
Hugs, Fliss xx

9 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

a great handmade embellishment, looks great on your card x

Netty said...

A smashing homemade embellie Fliss, looks good on the card. Annette x

Valerie-Jael said...

Pretty card and love the heart! Valerie

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great self-made charm. A beautiful card.

Jenny Marples said...

Thank you for this Fliss. I didn't know you could get dabbers for embossing ink and have intricate dies this would be perfect for. You are a star. Hugs, Jenny x

cheryl said...

oh hun,this is just gorgeous,just love what you have done with the die,hun brilliant and a super card too hugs Cherylxxxxxxx

Sally H said...

What a beautiful card, Fliss! I love the stamp and you have made a beautiful embellishment too.

toni said...

Beautiful card and a great way to make your own embellishments, x

Words and Pictures said...

Great technique and the end result is so cool!
Alison x