Wednesday 21 March 2018

Midway Inspiration for That's Crafty! March Challenge

Hello, I'm back again to share my midway inspiration for our March challenge at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog, our theme this month being Spring Into Action and boy, has it taken a long time to appear! Snow in March is definitely not my idea of Spring!
I've created a mixed media art panel as my offering featuring, of course, some of my new stamps as how could I not!


If it's still freezing cold where you are, hopefully this will bring you a little warmth.

You might be surprised to learn that my artwork above actually has another piece of artwork underneath. I created it a couple of years ago and it had faded a lot so I decided to use it as the base for this. I glued crinkled tissue paper over the top with DecoArt Matte Medium and once it was dry, used the spirals stencil with texture paste to add a pattern on the left side.
If you look closely, you can just see the original artwork underneath!


The next step was to add some lime and mustard multi surface paints to a couple of spritzer bottles, diluting them with water and then spritzing them on, with lime on the patterned side and mustard on the other, allowing the colours to run down and re-applying in between blasting with my heat gun to give a distressed look.

I then chose one of my floral images and stamped this on the right side together with the flourish image using Versamark ink and heat embossing with fine white embossing powder. I painted the images with diluted multi surface paints in shades of orange, yellow and green.

I stamped more floral images and leaf sprigs on gelli print and brayer paint wipe papers from my bits box, stamping enough to layer up the flowers. Once they were glued together, I scrunched the flowers a little for a shabby chic effect.

I glued the flowers and leaves in a spray and finished off with a painted white/greyboard plaque from the matches sets for my stamps, stamped with one of the quotes.

TIP: I quite often use my Tim Holtz stamping platform to stamp my flowers due to the amount of detail and although they stamp very well using an acrylic block, I find that if I'm stamping on painted paper with a slightly uneven surface, the platform really helps to achieve a clean image first time.

If you haven't yet entered, the challenge is now open to everyone, wherever you live and there are prizes for the top 3 too so what are you waiting for!

Have a great week.
Fliss xx

2 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Adore the colours you have used in your mixed media panel Fliss, they really do bring out that Spring time feel. A wonderful piece I hope will be on show for everyone to see.
Happy Spring time Hugs Tracey xx

Dorthe said...

Hello Fliss,
Nodding smiling to your happy flower art piece- with the gorgeous colors you made, -I LOVE the coral tones- the lime green around them and the text stands fantastic against the orange - a beautiful new creation, thoughtfully created onto already used panel.
Have a wonderful evening dear friend- Hugs, Dorthe xxx