Friday 3 June 2011

Polka Doodles Challenge - Something With A Secret

Hello everyone, it's Friday yet again so it's time for another challenge over at Polka Doodles.

If you haven't yet had a go at the Blog Hop with prizes galore, the deadline has now been extended another week to noon on 12 June due to all the problems people have had leaving comments at the moment. If you still have them, I can recommend Firefox as I haven't had any problems at all and I think it's Internet Explorer at fault.

And now on to the challenge this week which has been chosen by Nikky and she would like to see a project with a Secret Element. I've made a card and also have a mini tutorial to share on how I made the chintzy floral papers on my card which I did because I ran out of printer ink at the exactly the wrong time - why is it that it always does that at the most inconvenient time possible! Still, I did get to be creative with my stamps.




As you can see, it really is easy to do vintage style with Polka Doodles stash. I had some mannequins left from when I made the Sundae Of Seasons CD samples for Nikky - these are a favourite as my younger daughter is studying for a degree in fashion design (she is very excited at the moment as yesterday she found out that she'd gained the highest mark in her year group for her last project - I can't tell you how pleased we are for her!!!)
I stamped on the torso portion of one of the mannequins - you can see how easy it is to make the paper below, using a tiny flower from the Daisy Doodles stamp set and various shades of VersaColor ink. I then ran a bronze glitter pen round the edge and cut it out.
I cut out a panel with a further matching mannequin and decorated it with the same technique, lighter inks and a slightly larger flower. I added this to a kraft mat and a further mat of the chintzy paper using the technique on peach card.
I made a large piece of background paper using the layering technique and the largest dotty flower, attaching this to the card blank. I added a piece of coffee coloured lace. I then attached the mannequin panel to form a pocket and glued braid at the top and bottom.
I altered some silk flowers with Promarkers and glimmer mist (Vintage Pink) and added this with a vintage button centre. I then added a stamped sentiment (Creative Expressions Sam Poole sewing set).
I then made a tag to fit in the pocket with the other pretty mannequin from the CD again making papers using the technique below. I added a stamped sentiment and a portion of tape measure from the CD with a vintage button at the top - as you can see it makes a great pull tab.

Mini Tutorial
As you'll see it really is easy to make my chintzy paper, the only extra tip being that the larger your base paper, the larger your flower stamp needs to be or it will take ages. This is a slight variation of my Millefiori Stamping Technique (there is a link on my side bar) and I chose the name for this as it's Italian for 1000 flowers.

Step 1 - I used VersaColor Smoke Blue


Step 2 - I used VersaColor Lilac


Step 3 - I used Umber

Step 4 - I used Cinnamon then Sand Beige to fill any remaining gaps


So you can see it really is easy and all that's involved is layering up the stamping.

I'm entering my project in the following challenges:
Divas By Design - Florals (quite a lot here!)
Paper Creations Ink - Ribbon Or Lace

I hope you find this useful. You have until 12 noon on Sunday 12 June to enter the challenge and don't forget to pop over to see the other gorgeous DT projects as there's som fabulous inspiration there.

Thanks for looking,
Fliss xx

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great wor, thanks for sharing how you did it! Hugs, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Awww great tutorial Fliss and beautiful card too. will pass your thanks on to Adam. thanks for sharing my friend
hugs June xxxxx

Jacqueline said...

Know what you mean about the printer Fliss - still your hand stamped background paper is very pretty as is your card - Jacqueline xx.

Brenda Brown said...

Just gorgeous and congrats to your daughter, you must be very proud parents. Love your stamped background and thanks for the tut.
As for Firefox I am experiencing problems with that too - can't see all the photos so I end up switching between the two. When is it all gonna get sorted I wonder?
Have a great weekend.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Miranda said...

great card Fliss, the BP is gorgeous
thanks for joining the PCI challenge this week
hugs
Miranda

peggy gatto said...

Fun idea and thank you for the help!!

Vicky said...

Stunning Fliss...loving your papers hun..!

thanks for joining us at Divas...and good luck!

hugs Vicky xx

Karen Hasheck said...

Awesome card! Love the lace! Thanks for joining us at PCI!

Karen PCI DT

Pat said...

What a wonderful card, Fliss and thank you for joining PCI's challenge. Love what you did. I look forward to seeing more of your work

Anonymous said...

I love the background makes the card so charming
All things Paper, Create...Learn....Share

Unknown said...

Hi Fliss, what a brilliant soloution to your printer problems. I know I tend to rely on printed papers too much now - it's been a long time since I made my own. It's a fantastic card, so much detail on it. Love the secret pocket! Thanks so much for joining us this time at Divas by Design. Sarah P.S. Well done to your daughter!

lis-m said...

Hi fliss, I am using google chrome on my pc , but this comment is from my iPhone , no probs using either ...
Really love your card , I adore the vintage-y seeing theme
Hugs x

Melissa Czapor said...

WOW!! fabulous project!! Thanks for playing with us at Paper Creations Ink! Hugs!