Friday 8 May 2015

Steampunk Surprise!

Hello again and welcome to my inspiration for our new challenge at That's Crafty Challenge Blog and I have to say I was thrilled to bits with the theme as my creation was inspired by my secret (or now not so secret!) obsession with Victorian Steampunk novels which has been fuelled by the Kindle my dear hubby gave me as a present last year.
As soon as I saw the Carabelle Studio Femme Neoromantique, the image was a must for my little art panel as with her goggles she looks just like one of the heroines of my favourite novels.


I decided on a mixed media panel which started off as a square Paper Artsy Greyboard Panel. I cut a square of smooth card to the same size, partially dry embossed it with a cogs and gears folder then inked it up with Rusty Hinge Distress ink and swiped over the top with Chipped Sapphire and Walnut Stain Distress inks. I then glued it to the greyboard panel.
I cut an arch shaped panel of strong card slightly larger the main image and another arch panel a little larger to make a mat.
I dry embossed the smaller panel with the cogs folder and then swiped on embossing ink and heat embossed it with Frantage Aged Bronze Embossing Enamel. I rubbed Chipped Sapphire DI in the areas with slight gaps.
I heat embossed just a wide band round the edges of the larger arch with a mix of Cosmic Shimmer Tarnished Gold, Black and Verdigris embossing powders.
I stamped the woman image on smooth card with Archival Jet Black ink and painted her with watercolour pencils before cutting her out. I then rubbed on a little Pumice Stone Distress ink to makes the edges pop.


I glued the arches together and then glued on the image, adding foam tape under her head for dimension.
I next stamped the Carabelle Studio Steampunk:Machine a remonter le temps image twice on smooth card and heat embossed it with the Frantage Aged Bronze. I then coloured them lightly with Seedless Preserves Distress ink and cut them out.
I added these to the panel and glued the arched panels over the top.
I embellished the panel with some chipboard cogs which I heat embossed with the Frantage Aged Bronze and Verdigris embossing powders. a metal key which I added a little Verdigris heat embossing to and Dymo tape text.

Hope you like my creation and that you can join in. You have a fortnight to enter and there's a £20 voucher to the online shop for the randomly drawn winner although please check the rules about this.

Have a great day and a lovely weekend.
Fliss xx

I'd like to link this up to the following:
Altered Eclectics - Anything Goes (mine started out as a plain greyboard panel)
Cuttlebug Mania - Stamping (I used my beloved Cuttlebug and the gears folder) My image is stamped as ere the clock and gear side panels)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya Fliss,

Thank you for sharing such a creative project. I think the steampunk theme really gets complimented by the Dymo tape.

It helps add this rustic look to the whole piece, making it that much more awesome!

Great job and a great share.

With best regards,
Jesper K
DYMOSupport

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful make, Fliss.Love your detail background and lovely lady. You have colored her so well with watercolors.

http://cheryl-cherylscreativeatcscards.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Oh super make hun love the background hugs cheryl xxxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful card Fliss, enjoy your novels. Kindle is wonderful, I never go anywhere without mine! Hugs, Valerie

Amanda said...

Fabulous steampunk creation Fliss, love all the embossing, you've used one of the few Carabelle stamps I haven't got and having seen this I niw need it!!
Live
Amanda x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

This is stunning Fliss, beautifully made. The more I see of this stamp the more I'm thinking about it.....I might have to fight Amanda for it ha ha
Have a fab weekend
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Deborah said...

Love all the wonderful colour and texture, Fliss. And it's lovely to see a female.

Shirley said...

Hi Fliss finally hopped on over to have a look at all I have been missing and what a fabulous make I have hopped onto. Beautiful image ... another stamp for my wish list!!!

Off to see what else I have missed. How steamy are those Victorian Steampunk novels???

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

craftytrog said...

Fabulously Steampunk! x

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - I love this, Fliss - the colours are so rich and the shimmering textures are great. It really shows through how much you love the Steampunk theme!
Alison xx

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

Thanks for your comment Fliss on my blog. I love this work from you. It is beautiful. Lovely greet Marja

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Fabulous project and love the image. Thank you for sharing with us over at Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

Handcrafted by Ellapu
Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit
DT The Mirror Crack'd
DT Anything but a Card