Friday 2 April 2010

Polka Doodles Week 13 Challenge - Birthday

Morning everyone and a very Happy Easter to you all!
This week at Polka Doodles we're helping Ruth to celebrate her birthday and for her challenge she would like to see your birthday creations.  You can enter anything you like, in any colour you like as long as it's for a birthday and knowing how many of those we all have to make (says she who hasn't yet made her brother in law's card for his birthday today!), I'm sure you can find the time to enter this week.
My card for the challenge was made with Ruth in mind and I hope she likes flowers because I've gone wildly floral in the hope that Spring will finally decide to stay after months of cold weather.
I chose to make a large easel style card and there are several photos so that you can see all the detail clearly.
I've used the gorgeous Floral Bouquet decoupage sheet from the Paper Boutique CD and cut out and layered up the vase pieces and lots of flowers for a 3D effect. The good thing about Nikky's decoupage elements is that you can add as many layers as you like so if you're short on time,  you don't have to use as many layers but still get a stunning look. I actually cut my pieces out yesterday whilst sitting in the physiotherapist's waiting room yesterday waiting for my daughter who's done her back in, much to the amusement and interest of several people who came in whilst I was there!
I embossed one side of the front panel of my card using a Sissix embossing folder and fixed the vase to this. I then made some decorated paper using the Polka Doodles Daisy Doodles stamp set and to show you how easy it is to do this, read on for a short tutorial:
Hope you can see these well enough, but you can click on the photo for a closer look. Here's what you do:
Step 1 - Choose one of the smaller solid flowers and stamp at random but leaving quite big spaces in between. I used VersaColor lime ink. On my card, I stamped on lemon card for a warm look.
Step 2 - Choose an open flower and stamp in between your lime flowers-I used VersaColor sky blue.
Step 3 - Take a larger solid flower and stamp at random, overlapping some of the previously stamped flowers. I used VersaColor lilac for this.
Step 4 - The finishing touch to draw it all together. I stamped the flourish flower in Memento lilac posies dye ink. You have to go with the flow here and carry on until it looks balanced.
It really is that easy.

To finish my card, I added a panel of the paper to the card front and a strip to the base. I added a greeting typed into one of the editable embellishments and some velvet and striped ribbon. I used a flower shaped brad to prop up the card front.

So it's over to you now and you have until 12 noon on Sunday 11 April to link up your creations.
Good luck!

2 comments:

Sally H said...

Stunning, Fliss! I love the paper you created!

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Hi Fliss - this is such a happy card, and very Spring-like (roll on the warm weather)! Love the colours and the funky flowers. How dedicated of you to take your decoupage to the doctor's surgery - I took my Copics and some digi images to colour in whilst on holiday last month - can't bear to sit around twiddling my thumbs! Hope you are having a happy Easter, and hope your daughter is feeling much better now.
Hugs, Sylvia xxx