Wednesday 10 October 2012

Feeling A Little Bit Retro

Hello everyone, I'm hoping this post pops up as scheduled as I'm on my way to do a Sage book-keeping test for some more work which I have to confess I'm dreading as it's like being back at school lol
Anyhow, enough of my troubles and on to the mixed media project I'm sharing today at the Studio 12 Creative Team blog which is a rather retro style canvas board.
This came about as I was thinking back to my childhood recently and one memory jumped out at me. It concerned my Mum who was quite a dressmaker and she used to make clothes for me and my sister. I have a very clear memory of being really annoyed once because she made us each a frock in the same fabric but different colours. Mine had orange, pink and brown flowers and with my blonde hair, I knew even at the age of 10 that it didn't suit me!!! I have a feeling I made quite a fuss too!




I painted the canvas board with a mix of turquoise and light blue acrylic paint and then used a rather funky retro flower stencil (Crafters Workshop) and some light orange paint to add the flowers at the top of the canvas.
I printed out the mannequin from the All Sewn Up collection on the Studio 12 Picknix Collection 1 CD onto kraft card and cut it out. I then turned it over to the reverse as I didn't want the black lines and inked it with brown. I dry embossed some lines and rounded it out to make it look more 3D using a large ball tool.
I then printed a further mannequin on white card and using the outline as a pattern, drew a sixties style shift dress. I turned it over to the reverse and stamped on flowers from the Polka Doodles Daisy Doodles stamp set with pink, yellow, orange and brown.
I added a light orange die cut and embossed mat to the canvas and stuck on the mannequin and frock. I then added the die cut sentiment from the same CD and finished off with a variety of toning flowers, layered up and decorated with metal, pearl and jewel brads and some pearls.

Have a great day.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Some challenges for my canvas
The Craft Room Challenge - Alter It

11 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Fliss this is fantasti love the design and the layout is fabulous. Caroline xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous piece Fliss, and a lovely story! I used to get dresses made by Uncles who were tailors, and in materials which I hated, so know how you felt! Valerie

theboelemas@aol.com said...

Fantastic piece Fliss.x

brenda said...

You really captured the retro feel here is Fliss right down to the colours and flowers.

B x

cheryl said...

oh gosh Hun you sure have captured the scene to perfection,brilliant colours and design hope it all goes well Hun,hugs Cherylxxxxx

craft-roomjulia said...

I love your very pretty altered canvas board, great retro design. Thanks for playing at Craft Room Challenge and good luck. Julia xxxx

Jenny Marples said...

Great make here Fliss, and your story brings back memories. Mum used to make me and my sister dresses too (oooh, the 70's were not good for fabric!) Hugs, Buttons x

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous retro design, great colours and love the flower power.
Hope your test went well.
Happy Friday.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Zoechaos said...

Thought for a moment this was a late entry for our Childhood memories challenge then! Love your picture board and the great big bright retro flowers. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge XOXO Zoe

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Hi Fliss, my mum too was a dressmaker and I had some "faux-pas" dresses too so I loved reading your blog post as it made me smile and remember too! Your canvas is lovely and I adore the riot of flowers. Thank you for sharing with us at the Craft Room this fortnight. Hugs, Suzanne xx

Maria said...

This is gorgeous, the stencilled background looks fabulous, and I love all the bright colours. Thanks for joining in with our Alter It theme over at the Craft-Room Challenge.

Maria x