Friday 5 July 2013

Vintage Lacy Background For Polka Doodles

Hi there, I'm here with the details on how I made the pretty lacy look background for my Polka Doodles challenge card this week.
As I really love stamping, what else could I do to make my background and it's really easy when you know how so now's the time to grab a cuppa and read on.

Step 1


It's best to use watercolour paper for this technique as you need something sturdy that won't buckle. Cut a piece that will fit your chosen card blank. The lovely flourish stamp I've used is my favourite from the Daisy Doodle stamp set and I've used Ranger Distress Embossing Ink as it stays wet for a long time. My paper is 8x8 and I stamped the image in the corners first then twice in between and heat embossed the images with the white detail powder. If you want to make a smaller card such as 6x6, you'll probably need to stamp just once between the corners. I've added a bit of colour from the next step so you can see the embossing.

Step 2


 Using a craft sheet (or a plastic clipboard as I do), apply a large patch of Victorian Velvet Distress ink and spray with a little water. Using a fairly large paint brush, add a wash all over the over the top of the embossing which will resist the colour.

Step 3


Deepen the colour by applying a further wash of Seedless Preserves Distress ink diluted with water spray as before and then add extra colour to the corners by picking up ink direct from the ink pad with a damp brush.

Step 4


Once the paper has dried, you can then give it some shimmer by applying gold liquid pearls over the embossed area using your finger. Just dab on gently and try not to rub too much. It gives a lovely soft sheen to the embossing and softens the colour a little too.

Step 5


To finish the paper off for my card, I added a little extra embossing across the centre using the same stamp and the gold pearl as I found that the lacy effect of the paper looked better without any added embellishing and hope you agree.

Enjoy!
Fliss xx

6 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely to see the steps towards your oh-so-pretty background, Fliss!
Alison x

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely work! Valerie

Jacqueline said...

Stunning work Fliss - a gorgeous border - Jacqueline xx

Ink Art Designs said...

Such a beautiful border Fliss! Delicate and feminine. The clipboard is a great idea.
Dot x

Rossella said...

Fabulous background and lovely card
Rosie x

Anet's Crafting said...

Your card is beautiful Fliss. I love the background you created. Thank you for sharing the steps.