Wednesday 2 May 2018

A Stitch In Time at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog

Hello and welcome to my inspiration for our May Challenge over at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog where our theme for this month is A Stitch In Time which could be real or faux, the choice is yours.
Actually can't believe it's May already and the weather today is anything but as it's cold and blowing a gale!
Hope you like my inspiration which is the mixed media sampler style creation that I made for the last Hochanda shows so you might have spotted this if you watched them.


The base for my sampler is one of the new MDF circles which come in 3 sizes (this being the 6 inch diameter) and have holes at the top to add a hanger if you like.
I painted the substrate with white gesso and then a coat of ivory multi surface paint. Once the paint was dry, I stamped the woven texture stamp randomly over with Vintage Photo oxide ink without using an acrylic block to achieve a worn, shabby look.
I then used the new and gorgeous stitches stencil with texture paste to add faux stitching to the background. I have a tip for you here as there are 9 rows of different stitches and I found that the easiest way to work with them is to cut the stencil up into individual strips as this means you can use them in any order you like and don't have to wait for texture paste to dry before adding more rows - result!


I left the stencilling to dry and when I returned a short time later found that the texture paste had leached up some of the colour from the oxide ink stamping underneath giving a worn, vintage look - serendipity strikes again!

I then made my floral embellishment by stamping the flower with black VersaFine ink on 2 complimentary shades of fabric backed with Bondaweb. I ironed the fabric to thick interlining to add strength and then cut my flower out, the whole one from the amber shade and just the centre from the aged ivory one.

I assembled my panel, adding lace in between some rows of faux stitching. I glued the flower together and then to the panel with 3D glue and added some small toning flower beads for texture. Some lace was tied through the top to make a pretty hanger. I can recommend using a needle pushed through lace or ribbon to pull it through the holes as they're quite small and the needle really helps your chosen trim to go through with ease.

There's a great prize of a £30 voucher for the online shop for the randomly drawn winner and the Top 3 chosen by the DT will receive stencils of their choice so do enter if you can.

Have a great day whatever you're doing and see you soon.
Hugs,
Fliss xx

6 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Love how you used the hanging circle to display this Fliss, reminds me of an old linen sampler. Fab way to use the stitches stencil by cutting it into strips, i'd have to punch a hole through them and hang them on a book ring as i'd surely loose one or too along my crafty journey. Beautiful creation.
Wednesday Hugs Tracey xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous piece Fliss, it really looks like it's been embroidered. Hugs, Valerie

Sue said...

This is a beauty Fliss, it really does look like embroidery. I quite often chop up stencils (and stamps too but don't tell anyone) xx

Dorthe said...

Hello Fliss,
such a beautiful stitch art piece,- you already know, I love it,- and how you used the stencil, -your background, makes it almost look as a fabric ,also because of the added laces, so clever . Gorgeous colors on your beautiful flower, too !!
Hugs from Dorthe ,xx

Words and Pictures said...

Those stitching stencils are really cool - and I love the neutral colour tones of your panel - a really clever make for the theme.
Alison x

Let's Art Journal said...

What a beautiful sampler! The rows of modelling paste stitching look amazing with your pretty floral embellishment 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊