Tuesday 15 December 2009

Really Retro

This is my entry for this week's Play Date Cafe challenge set by Alison. Here's the inspiration to use:

The colours screamed retro at me so that's what I decided to go for and I've developed an easy inking technique inspired by retro textiles.



Ingredients Used:
VersaColor Ink Cubes in Scarlet, Lime and Orchid
Textured Card in White
Pink Card
Image from Dezinaworld Mono Touch Collage Sheet
Ribbon by American Crafts
PaperMania Floral Ribbon Brad
Bright Brads and Fabric Flower
Clear Embossing Powder
Cuttlebug Paisley Embossing Folder
The retro background paper is really easy to make using the ink cubes. You simply start at the top of the card with your first colour (I used pink) and press the side of the ink pad on the card, repeating to form a zigzag pattern across the card angling the ink pad up and then down. You repeat this with the next colour (scarlet here) and then the third (lime). Once you have reached the bottom, you fill any gaps at top and bottom with the corresponding ink colour in the pattern. You then emboss the whole panel with clear powder.
My card also features a white panel embossed with the paisley folder and 3 brads pushed in at the top right side. I cut out my chosen collage image complete with the border as the colour worked so well here. I finished off with ribbons and a fabric flower with a brad centre.

8 comments:

Hearts Turned said...

How fabulously retro, Fliss! Love this! Great use of the colors this week! WOW! So glad you play along with us at The Cafe'!

Fiona said...

Groovy baby, what fab psychedelic colours! What a great background technique and love the image too. Nice to see your photo.
Fiona x

cheryl said...

oh fliss this is just amazing great take with the colurs and junes image is just perfect hugs cheryl xxxx

scrapperjulia said...

This is fabulous, baby! Sorry, your card made me turn into Austin Powers for a minute! Just awesome, baby!

Sandi said...

great retro, these colors will go anywhere, thanks for joining us at the Play Date Cafe. Sandi

*Alison* said...

how funky and fun!! Great job on the colors :) thanks for playing with us at the Cafe.. HUGS

~Check out my blog for the new FREE Digital Stamp on my blog.. plus the others from past weeks.. :)

Christine (All She Crafts) said...

Love the bold bright colours in this card.. psychedelic! ;o) Reminds me very much of the sixties and early seventies... and yes, I was there to see it! lol ;o)

Nice to see YOU on your sidebar, too! :o) Hi, Fliss!!

Hugs,
Chris xx

Julie Ranae said...

Big fan of retro, Fliss...you did a great job with these colors from The Play Date Cafe!