Friday 8 January 2010

Polka Doodles 2010 First Challenge

Happy New Year everyone and it's now time for the first Polka Doodles challenge of the year. The challenge for this week is to make a project inspired by a song title. As we all love a bit of music in our lives, I'm sure there will be plenty of crafters up for this one.
My DT project is an altered mini clip board (actually sold as a Bingo board!) which I found in the local garden centre. I've made it into a really pretty decoration for a little girl's room. It was inspired by the song "Swing On A Star" although there isn't a star in sight but there is a swing!

 
I've used some of the really pretty floral papers from the Back to Nature CD in lilac and purple shades together with one of the matching floral borders. The number of gorgeous papers on the CD have to be seen to be believed and if you have a look at the challenge blog and also at the online shop where you'll find lots of examples.
To make the clipboard, I painted the top and sides with lilac acrylic paint and then stuck 2 co-ordinating floral papers on. I covered the central join with a floral border and stuck white crochet lace either side of it. I stuck narrow doubled sided tape all around the edges and covered them with candy pink glitter.
I printed the scallop frames from the CD onto lilac card and cut out the large flower shaped one. I inked the edges with lilac and purple ink. I then printed out some of the single flowers and the little girl on a swing. I assembled these on the scalloped flower and added a few coloured pearls in the flower centres. By using foam tape in some places, you can achieve a really lovely 3D effect.
Finally a reminder that you can catch Nikky Hall on Create & Craft TV on Sunday 10th January at 11am with the brand new Polka Doodles CD entitled Love & Cherish which I've been privileged to work with and the papers on there are just stunning. Do catch the show if you can.
 

7 comments:

Nettie said...

I love these girl images. Fab clipboard.x

cheryl said...

great image hun and such a wonderful clipboard hugs cheryl xx

brenda said...

Hi Fliss

Isnt this Polkadoodling fun, I can see by your great card you are enjoying it every bit as I am.

Thanks for the clip-board idea, can see some uses for that little board.

B x

Vicky said...

Fab idea Fliss, thanks so much for the inspiration. Congrats on the article in Craft Stamper, I love that mag. :)xx

ribenaruby said...

Wonderful clipboard, so perfect for a girl. Congratulations on the article too, I have that magazine and the patchwork card is so beautiful!

Sally H said...

What a lovely idea and a fun image!

Anonymous said...

Thats gorgeous and so cute fliss
hugs June xxx