Friday 13 October 2017

Get Your Spook On at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog

Well, I'm late, late, late getting my spook on for our new challenge at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog. It really has seemed like Friday the 13th today!
This is because I've had to deal with a rather tricky accounting problem which began when someone who shall remain nameless plonked a print out on the table when I was eating my breakfast at 7.30 this morning and said I needed to look at it! The joys of working for someone you're married to - NOT!
Anyway, better late than never, here is my inspiration for our challenge which is a spooky card which involved the first use of my now much loved toy - the Tim Holtz Stamping Platform - which is awesome!


I used mixed media paper for my background as I wanted to use paint and this will take water without buckling.
I stamped the Stampendous image (Owl Tombstone) using the stamp platform. It's really easy to use and the best thing about it is that if you don't get a strong enough print the first time (I didn't as the paper is a bit rough) then you just repeat until you're happy with the colour. I also used some further colours, layering red, purple and brown over black and it does give a rather unique look to the image. I also used a bit of silver meant to look like monnlight and I'm not sure it was entirely successful but it will do!
I then coloured the paper with diluted That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paints - purple, red and yellow, repeating applications until I was happy. I then used leftover wash to add stronger colour to the main stamped image.
I used the That's Crafty! Flight of the Bats Dinky Stencil with Archival Jet Black ink to add the bats. I next used the Scaredy Cat Dinky Stencil to draw the cat shape on the back of a piece of white backed black card and cut the image out. It wasn't quite black enough so I sponged on Multi Surface Black Paint to strengthen the colour.
I glued the background paper to a black card blank and added the cat to finish.

I hope you can join us as there's a great prize of a voucher for the online shop for the randomly drawn winner.

See you again soon.
Fliss x

7 comments:

Dorthe said...

Fliss, uhh so really spooky , this is :-) The landing owl, or is he upstanding from earth.... lol- in both ways he is a scary thing, -no wonder the cat gets scared and shows !! A totally out in nowhere place, -gorgeous made with the far away tree!! You captured the horror with your wonderful make !!
Hugs, Dorthe, xx

brenda said...

Playing holiday catch up Fliss, love the vibrancy of colours in the background and the bats make for a really spooky feel.

B x

Joan said...

Very spooky Fliss, love that cat !

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Spookalicious card Fliss, love that really atmospheric background too. Hmmm I hope hubby didn’t give you indigestion then!!
Hugs
Donna xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Now I know why I couldn't find this early yesterday morn Fliss. I thought it was a Friday 13th Glitch!! This is such a dramatic piece, lush colour and the darkness of both bats and cat really draws the eye towards the headstone. Great words.. Big Hugs Tracey xx

Amanda said...

Great spooky card Fliss, love the cut out stencil of the cat fab touch
Love
Amanda x

Words and Pictures said...

Brilliant inky background and fabulous spooky card.
Alison x