Wednesday 15 August 2018

Animal Magic Part 2

Hello! I'm taking a sneaky break in the middle of some accountancy work to share my midway inspiration for the August challenge over at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog which this month has the theme of Animal Magic.
I've created an underwater themed upright with some of Magda's cute water world critters and gone rather mixed media for this one as I wanted a very textured seaweed look. Hope you like it!


My first step was to apply texture paste all over the top panel and once it was try, I used matte gel to glue on some ripped and snipped crochet lace lurking in my stash - I knew it would come in handy some day! I then glued on some tiny 3D balls - mine are Powertex from my great class with Leonie Pujol back in April, but Prima do these too.
I next sprayed the surface with Aqua and Basil Flat Matte Sprays, allowing the colours to drip and run. As you can see, the crochet lace picked up more colour and popped out a lot more. I then used a stiff paintbrush to dab on green and turquoise shimmer paints for a bit of bling - sadly it doesn't show very well in the photo.
I die cut some "seaweed" from gelli papers in my bits box using Tim Holtz Garden Greens die set which is handy for more than gardens!
I stamped on the little fish from the stamp set several times using Ripe Persimmon Distress Oxide as it's a lovely strong colour. I gave the fish eyes with a black Posca pen.
I then stamped all the other critters on smooth cartridge paper and coloured them with my Zig Clean Color markers, adding doodling with white and balack Posca pens, then cut the images out and glued them on with dimensional glue.
I finished off by spraying the base with the same blue and green matte sprays, adding some glass pebbles to it, then glued some glittery gems to the top section for a bit of bubbly bling.

Supplies:
That's Crafty! Clear Stamp Set - Water World by Magda Polakow
That's Crafty! Surfaces - MDF Jagged Edge Upright
That's Crafty! White Texture Paste
That's Crafty! Flat Matte Sprays - Aqua and Basil
That's Crafty! Shimmer Paints - Green and Turquoise
Posca Pens - Fine Black and White
Distress Oxide Ink - Ripe Persimmon
Extras - 3D Balls, Ripped Crochet Lace, Tim Holtz Garden Greens Die Set, Glittery Gems, Glass Pebbles

There are some fab prizes if you enter so don't forget you have to be in it to win it!

Have a great day and hope the rest of the week is all you could wish for.
Fliss xx

5 comments:

brenda said...

What a delightful Ocean inspired creation Fliss and thos Fishes are such fun. I ned to source some of those plaques as they work so well with mixed media projects.

B x

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic piece!love the colours. Hugs, Valerie

Dorthe said...

So beautiful Fliss, the way you created movement in the water, with the lace, and sequins a most amazing background, for the sweet fish - I love what you did,- and a great idea with the stones, too.
Hugs, Dorthe, xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Great mix of elements to create the background Fliss, so effective. Those wee fishes look very happy swimming around in it.
Those glass pebbles are a great addition.
Thank you for sharing, wishing you a fab week.
Hugs Tracey xx

Sue said...

This is fabulous Fliss, I love what you've done with the lace and the sea critters look so sweet amongst their sea weed xx