Wednesday 3 October 2018

Quoth The Raven

Hello! Welcome to my inspiration for our new challenge this month over at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog where, being October, we have the theme of Spookalicious and would like to see your creepy or Halloween artwork.
My mixed media panel was inspired by Edgar Allan Poe and came about because when rummaging through my stencils, I came across my as yet unused raven stencil.


I chose a square MDF panel and covered this roughly with texture sand paste, leaving a few bits of the panel uncovered - mainly around the edges.
I sprayed the panel with Walnut, Blueberry and Blackberry flat matte sprays, giving it several coats and drying between each one.
Once the background was completely dry, I used the raven stencil with texture paste to create my main image. I let this dry well and then painted it with Black multi surface paint by placing the stencil back on top and applying the paint with a sponge.
I then removed the stencil and painted in between the sections as well to form a complete image. I then added some highlights to the bird with Metallic Blue and Silver multi surface paints. I went around the edges with Red shimmer paint and also painted his eye.
I trimmed a greyboard tree so that it would fit on the side and covered it with texture paste, scraping in a knarled bark pattern with a cocktail stick. When it was dry, I painted it with black multi surface paint and charcoal shimmer paint, treating several greyboard leaves in the same way. I glued these on the left hand side of my collage.
I stamped the skulls (actually the skull and crossbones image from Donna's Claire stamp set) on mixed media paper with black pigment ink and clear embossed them. I coloured them a little with my Zig pens and then heat embossed them further with Vintage Beeswax Baked Texture embossing powder. I also used this on a Tim Holtz quote chip.
I created a spooky moon in the top right hand corner with texture paste using a circle stencil and coloured this with a mix of multi surface and shimmer paints.

I hope you can join us for some great prizes.

Thank you to everyone who left kind comments on my last post. My father in law is now recovering well and is awaiting transfer to an NHS centre for physiotherapy care.

See you soon.
Fliss xx

7 comments:

Dorthe said...

A gorgeous make, Fliss, the raven is so beautiful, colored, like a painting , really love it . Hugs Dorthe , xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful raven piece. Glad your FiL is doing well. Hugs, Valerie

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous Fliss, love this . Tracy ❤️❤️

A Pink said...

A lovely piece of creativity, Fliss. Great eay to showcase your raven stencil for the first time . Thanks for reminding to check out all mine that remain unused !!!
So good to hear your FIL is recovering well and hope the physio will help him loads . Knowing someone who had very little mobility before having both hips done the difference the ops and physio can do is remarkable .
hugs x

brenda said...

I saw this one last night and admired it then, the Raven is really stunning and so much detail.

B x

Words and Pictures said...

Love the amazing feathered texture on your raven, and the background looks amazing - like old stone.
Ailson x

Sue said...

This is fabulous Fliss, what a very spooky raven - his texture is fabulous, and the red outline makes him look even more so. Take care, Sue xx