Wednesday 26 February 2020

Graphic Birthday Card

Hello on a very chilly but sunny day here on the south coast of the UK. 

A quick share of the birthday card I created for my eldest nephew who was 27 on Monday and I always struggle to create cards for young men other than those involving sport, but as I don't actually own anything for that type of card, my creative thinking hat went on.

A search through my papers file unearthed some gelli prints made a while back featuring just stripes of red, white and blue (That's Crafty! multi surface paints in bright red, light blue and white) that I had created for a project with a marine theme.


I decided on a simple graphic style and cut strips of the paper, some with vertical and some horizontal stripes for extra interest. I trimmed one end to an inverted triangle and added them to a mat of black card to make them pop.

I felt they needed an extra something so I took one of the mark making stamp sets designed by Lynne Moncrieff and stamped on alternate strips with black ink. I glued the pieces in place on a white square card blank and finished off with the birthday text stamped on a further scrap of my chosen papers (the text is from one of the grunge flower stamp sets by Melina Dahl).


Have a great rest of the week and see you again soon.
Fliss xx

5 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic card. It's always much harder to make male cards, that's true. I love just using shapes and colour, always my faves by far. This card is a great solution, and very smart. Have a good week! Hugs, Valerie

brenda said...

Lovely rich colours Fliss and perfect for the lad, I also struggle with those. My DIL in Lancing rang earlier and said it was rather cold down there as well.

B x

Dorthe said...

It is such a wonderful idea Fliss , and the mark makings from Lynnes stamps fits perfect there, a great and special card for that young man -
Hugs, Dorthe xx

Sue said...

Fliss what a brilliant idea and card! Men's cards are so difficult but you've really risen to the challenge. I love your bold colours, and the black really finishes it off perfectly. Take care, Sue xx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - such a dramatic gelli print, and I love how you've used it for the flags. The black grungy doodles look so cool.
Alison x