Sunday 7 June 2020

Watercolour Meadow

Hello! I hope you're all well and I'm still struggling somewhat to keep up with everything (I've been working on things behind the scenes that can't yet be shared).
I have got something to share today for once as the ladies in my craft group whom I can't meet up with due to lockdown had the idea of setting up a weekly challenge project which has been very varied having included baking cakes and biscuits (when flour was available!) and making various cards shapes etc.
It was my turn to set the project this week and I wanted something rather different so out came the watercolour paints.
I thought I would share the tutorial I sent to the ladies as it's much easier to do than you might think and doesn't use much in the way of craft supplies.


Supplies:

Watercolour paints
 Selection of brushes including fine and flat
Old store or credit card
Watercolour paper
Acrylic block or plate


Step 1

Add water to blue and green paint to create washes and brush onto a square, rectangle or even a circle or oval of card, the choice is yours!


 Step 2

Add grass green watercolour paint to an acrylic block or plate and then using an old store card or similar pick up paint with the edge and use to create rough blades of grass on the lower half of the paper. You can go up into the sky if you like.

  
Step 3

Add blue paint to the block and repeat the above step with blue, scraping some paint at the bottom to add texture.


Step 4

Using a fine brush and green paint, paint of squiggles and loops as shown in the photo. It might seem strange, but these form rough stalks for the flowers.



Step 5

Using the acrylic block, add pink watercolour paint if you have it (I didn’t so I mixed red and white) then use a fine brush to create clusters of rough dots to form tall flower heads. Water down heavily any remaining paint and flick this over the panel to create splats and dots – this adds lots of interest to the piece.


Step 6

Repeat the above step using bright yellow and also add the watered down dots and splats from a loaded paintbrush.


 Step 7

Repeat the above step including splats with blue watercolour paint. As you can see in the photo, I also added more yellow to the piece.


 Step 8

Add some tiny daisies by creating brown dots for the centres and then using a fine brush with orange to create the petals which are just tiny lines in my case.

To finish the painting, water down white paint and load up the brush to create lots of dots on the panel, including the sky.


 
The finished piece can be used to make a card if you like or you could frame it to make a picture if you like it too much to part with it!


As you see, it really is just a lot of layers and you can add as much or as little detail as you like or change the type of flowers if you fancy some poppies or other meadow type flowers.


I hope you enjoyed this and let me know if you give it a go as I'd love to see it.
Have a good week and stay safe and well.
Fliss xx

5 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous piece Fliss, well done. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Rachel said...

Brilliant step by step Fliss, it’s really easy to follow and a beautiful end result ❤️❤️❤️

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful designed card most adorable colours and result. x

brenda said...

You've captured a beautiful summer meadow Fliss, I'm sure all the wild flowers are blooming and especially the Poppies and so sad to miss them this year as still advised to shield - think I'm in week 14 now, lost count just know it two weeks longer than lockdown.

B x

Sue said...

Wow Fliss this is wonderful and such a fab step by step. Take care, Sue xx